Homeopathy Treatment for Cervical Spondylosis
What is Cervical Spondylosis ?
Cervical spondylosis is a condition that causes deterioration of the vertebrae, discs, and ligaments in the neck or cervical spine. It is also known as arthritis of the neck, cervical osteoarthritis, or degenerative osteoarthritis.
Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis
- Feeling of pain and stiffness in nape of neck.
- Headaches occuring in the head regions,
Occipital (Occipital muscles are located in the back and lower part of the skull) or suboccipital (Suboccipital muscles are located below the occipital bone) which may even extend to eyes.
- Grinding or popping noise or sensation when you turn your neck
- In some cases, cervical spondylosis results in a narrowing of the space needed for the spinal cord or nerve roots. If this occurs, your symptoms may include numbness and weakness in the arms, hands, and fingers (cervical radiculopathy).
- Trouble walking, loss of balance/vertigo
- Muscle spasms in the neck and shoulders or may extend down the arms to fingers.
- Nausea is sometimes seen.
What are the Causes and Risk Factors of Cervical Spondylosis ?
- Genetics—a family history of neck pain and spondylosis
- Postural imbalance: Disc bulge due to wrong sitting posture
- Previous injury or trauma to the neck
- Age-related degenerative changes - The condition is extremely common in patients who are middle-aged and older( > 40 yrs mostly)
- Wear and tear of cervical spine
- Hernitaed intervertebral disc & spurs (bony growth/a oesteophytes caused by degeneration of bony tissue) on vertebrae which compress the spinal nerve.
- Occupation related : Jobs with lots of repetitive neck motion and overhead work, prolonged sitting in front of computer
- Depression or anxiety
Diagnosis for Cervical Spondylosis
To get a confirmed diagnosis of cervical spondylosis, further investigations such as :
3. CT Scan need to be conducted.
Preventive Measures for Cervical Spondylosis
- If you make certain lifestyle changes you can help to prevent Cervical Spondylosis
- Regular exercise (adding NECK exercises to routine)
- Correct posture while sitting.
- Avoid strenuous work that puts stress/strain on the neck.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights.
- Neck massage and hot fomentation can help.
- Avoid use of thick pillows under the head while sleeping.
What can Homeopathy do ?
Homeopathy aims to stimulate the immune system of your body. It helps to cure the main cause of problem.
Homeopathic medicines helps to stop further progression of the degenerative changes in cervical spine.
The compression of nerves are generally caused by the muscles and ligaments present around the area which cause pain.
Homeopathy helps to decrease the stress of the muscles and ligaments and thus helps to reduce the inflammation of the muscles and also help to dissolve the bone spurs.
The medicines give strength to the neck muscles and power to nerves. Thus pain, headache, vertigo, nausea, numbness in arm and fingers, etc are the symptoms which get better once the root cause of your pain is identified and corrected.
Homeopathic medicines for Cervical Spondylosis
Homeopathic medicines for cervical spondylosis help stop further progression of the degenerative changes in cervical spine.
Remedies that may help are: conium, gelsemium, silicea, calcarea phos, kalmia, ruta, cimicifuga, bryonia, rhus tox, hypericum, paris quadrifolia, etc.
The medicines can vary depending upon the cause, history and symptoms of the patient.
Below are few indicated medicines based on the peculiar symptoms.
1. Ruta Graveolens
It can cover the following symptoms :
- If you are suffering from pain in the nape of neck.
- During cold weather the rheumatic pains get worse.
- During wet weather the rheumatic pains get worse.
- Pain due to Exertion.
- Feeling of stiffness and bruised pains with weakness.
Ruta Graveolens can be helpful in treating such symptoms
2. Rhus Toxicodendron
- Feeling of stiffness in the neck
- Always feel to do stretching, moving or giving massage to your neck
- You feel better while doing activities such as :
a) When in motion.
b) Lying on hard surface.
c) Applying hard pressure on the neck.
d) During hot weather or heated space.
- Feeling of pain mostly in the left shoulder, inner side of scapula.
- Neck pain due to over-straining or overuse
Rhus Toxicodendron is the homeopathic remedy for Cervical Spondylosis which can cover such symptoms.
3. Bryonia Alba
- If there is neck pain that worsens with movement.
- Every spot is painful on pressure.
- Taking rest relieves the symptoms or pain.
Bryonia Alba is the homeopathic medicine for Cervical Spondylosis which can be useful during such symptoms.
4. Hypericum Perforatum
- It acts as the best prescription for neck pain that may radiate to the shoulders and spine that is extremely sensitive to touch.
- It can be helpful if there is a feeling of tingling, burning, numbness in hands.
- It is indicated for treatment of cervical spondylosis resulting from injury.
5. Kalmia Latifolia
Along with neck pain there is tingling, pricking sensation in hands. In some such cases, upper limbs may feel week.
Pain in the neck extends down to the shoulder blades or the arm(Deltoid rheumatism especially Right). Tingling and numbness of left arm.
Kalmia Latifolia is the homeopathic medicine for Cervical Spondylosis which can be useful for such symptoms.
It is indicated for cervical spondylosis with vertigo episodes. The vertigo episodes occur mostly while walking. Movement of the head may also lead to vertigo. A blurring of vision may be present.
Gelsemium can be very effecting in treating such symptoms
Pain from the neck extends to either the occiput (back of the head) or the entire head. In some cases, the neck pain radiates to the head and settles over the eyes. Vertigo from looking up is felt.
Note : These are the indicated medicines and should be taken after advice of qualified Homeopathic Doctor. A constitutional medicine is prescribed according to case history and individualization of patient which stops further recurrence of Cervical Spondylosis
Click below to book appointment for the Treatment of Cervical Spondylosis :